Monday, January 23, 2012

Weekends together :-)

Once again, Daniel and I have been really enjoying our last few weekends together before our lives change forever.

Martin Luther King Day weekend was spent doing all sorts of fun and exciting things.

On Friday Jan. 13, 2012 we ate at Carrburrito with Jennie, Martin, Kelten, and Sally. We live in Carrboro and Carrburrito is a burrito place--clearly. The name is irresistible haha and the line to eat there was super long, meaning that it's good! After dinner we all played a game together.

Saturday Jan. 14, 2012 Daniel, Sally, and I drove to the beach. We walked for hours along the shore in the sunshine and just enjoyed being outside and listening to the waves. Talk about relaxing. We also ate at a restaurant called the Oceanic. It's right on the beach and has a pier that goes straight into the water. Delicious! I got fish a chips--wasn't what I was expecting (I had pretty high expectations after living in Scotland for a summer), but it was really good none the less. Next time I go there, I'm getting shrimp and grits. That's what Daniel got and it was so good.

Sunday Jan. 15, 2012 Daniel and I hosted a "Waffle Brunch" with a couple from church. With the start of the new year, our meetings don't start until 1:00pm, so instead of feeling like we've wasted the entire morning, we wanted to accomplish something fun beforehand. We ate waffles and scrambled eggs and then played Ticket to Ride.

I had off work Monday Jan. 16, 2012 (to celebrate the man who had a dream!) so Daniel and I woke up early and went to the Sunrise Biscuit restaurant (it's just a drive-thru, but it supposedly has the best biscuits in North Carolina) It was good, but I don't think I would say it's the best. Great service though! From there, we went and got our hairs cut. Big change for me: I got bangs. I liked them at first, but now I don't. Oh well.

Then we ran all sorts of errands. In the afternoon, Daniel went and played tennis with a friend and I stayed home and watched Gnomeo and Juliet. It was cute. I also took a nap :-). Then Daniel and I had the missionaries over for jalapeno popper grilled cheese sandwiches. Yum. Unfortunately, the food didn't sit well with my stomach and I woke up at 1:45am and spent the rest of the night thinking I was going into premature labor. It was awful. I sat on the floor of my bedroom with a bowl in front of me, pressing my head against the bed. I could not get the pain in my belly to go away (which was made worse by the Braxton Hicks contractions I was experiencing). I even tried all the pressure point pain relief tactics that I learned in my birthing class. Nothing worked. I finally just accepted the fact that it was there to stay for the night and fell asleep around 4:45am. I woke up at 6:30am, got in bed (from the floor) and just laid there with a terrible tummy ache. Daniel slept through it all haha.


The next weekend....

We spent Friday Jan. 20, 2012 eating pizza and playing games with Mattie and Matt Stevens. Daniel and I always have a lot of fun over there. We played Bohnanza (aka The Bean Game) and Chinese checkers. Just for memory sake... Everybody thought Matt was dominating at The Bean Game... and he was for the entire first half. However, at the end of the game, when we counted up points, he ended up losing. For whatever reason, that struck me as hilarious and I laughed so hard at his loss. I'm such a jerk. Matt, in case you ever read this... I'm so sorry haha.

Saturday Jan. 21, 2012 Daniel and I woke up early and drove to the Raleigh temple. It was exactly what we... I needed. Who would have thought that I would be so comforted about the birthing process through the words spoken in the temple? I definitely had never thought of the actual physical birthing process before while in there. But the experience confirmed to me that the Lord knows my needs. That He provides comfort in many ways, and that He is well aware of how freaked out I am about becoming a mother in five weeks-- freaked out about anticipating the exact date that my baby will arrive, freaked out about going into labor, freaked out about post partum, freaked out about having a baby in the apartment, and freaked out about it no longer being just me and Daniel to come and go as we please. But as I sat in the celestial room alone for a few minutes, all I could picture was a little girl, pulling herself up on our white couches and turning her little head around as if to see if anybody saw her accomplishment. Then, when she sees me, she gets the biggest grin on her little face. That image comforted me completely. I know that that time is months away, but it is now going to be my vision mantra during labor. I am very excited to meet this little girl. I even practiced reading a story book to Daniel-- he laughed the whole time, but I made him point out colors and answer extra questions about each picture haha. He's such a good sport.

We also went to a Kids Exchange where we got lots of baby things and then we had dinner at Jennie and Martins, played a game, and watched Captain America. :-) We didn't get home until late.

Sunday, Jan 22, 2012: We slept in, sat in a freezing couch with a single person blanket and played Ticket to Ride on his iPod. We made lunch, went to church, stayed for choir practice, came home, talked with family, ate dinner, watched the end of some football game and the start of another, watched Once Upon a Time, read scriptures, got ready for bed, tried to go to bed, ended up watching the rest of the 2nd football game, and then went to bed. The point of listing everything? We did everything together and we didn't argue or fight at all (not just on Sunday, but the whole weekend!)



These are my favorite kind of weekends.



BUT I'll save all the gushy "I love Daniel" stuff for my written journal. Last time I put anything like that in here, Daniel made me cry by an insensitive comment haha. (It's okay, we laugh about it now. I am pregnant and clearly hormonal haha.) But for the record, I don't care if he ever gets beat up or teased at school for something sweet written by his loving wife. In fact, I encourage it.

No comments:

Post a Comment