Monday, May 30, 2011

Holiday Monday

The day started off rocky when Claire got left behind--Daniel and I got on a bus without her :-(.  But we met up in Linlithgow (about an hour bus ride outside of Edinburgh) to tour the Linlithgow palace and see the Blackness Castle.  It was awesome and we filled up the front page of our explorer passports! 

First we went to Linlithgow Palace.  It's huge and Mary Queen of Scots was born there!  It was really cool. 





Ever seen Hamlet with Mel Gibson?  Apparently it was filmed at the Blackness Castle.  I've never seen it, so I wouldn't know... but the castle was awesome.  Because it's on the ocean and shaped like a boat, it's often referred to as the ship that never sailed.   We had to catch a bus so unfortunately we only had about 30 mins (if that) to walk around but I'm glad we did.  It felt like a fortress and it was fun walking along the castle wall.




By the time we got back to Edinburgh, we were all exhausted but it was sunny so we HAD to stay out.  We decided to walk to Grass Market.  Daniel and I had been down there after work once and it looked like the shops were really neat but because it was after 5 everything was closed.  Well today it was only 3! so we got to go in the shops and they were awesome!  We pretty much played dress up in 3 or 4 different vintage shops.  Let me tell you, if you want to shop vintage, the UK is the way to do it.  I found so many 50's dresses that I wanted to get and they even had the Gidget style swimsuits and they were adorable!  Let's not forget to mention all the accessories which were really fun to try on (hats and such).  I'll most likely head back there and get something.  I have to. 

(style of swim suit i'm talking about!)

Daniel tried on a pair of knickers and a velvet smoking suit jacket haha

View of one of the shops.. and this was only one room in the back.  Clothes were EVERYWHERE.  They even had baby girl dresses from the 70's... i may have to buy one for Rinda.  I know she'd love it haha
We had a really good time.  Tomorrow it's back to work.  I'd like to put a frowny face, but I don't want my employers to see! haha Oh well... Daniel's parents will be here this weekend and then its off to have more adventures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment