Saturday, May 21, 2011

May 20 & 21, 2011

Daniel and I went into the Parliament office on Friday. Nobody was there except for the interns. haha but we did our work and I had an enjoyable time.  With the type of work I'm doing, I kind of feel like a social worker. It's good though.  I'm helping people and I feel like I'm accomplishing stuff everyday. So yeah.  After that Daniel and I went grocery shopping and then hit up the Kenny McAskill victory party. 

It was a fun.  We got there late so we had to sit at a table by ourselves for a while but then a really sweet British couple sat with us.  They were telling us about a lot of foods that are popular here like baked beans on toast.  haha and when we told them that we eat peanut butter and jam sandwiches they were in awe.  They couldn't believe that we put peanut butter and jam on the same piece of bread!

The Sweeney's
Daniel and me with Pam.  She's the woman who gave us the black pudding and the Scots Dictionary.  She's really sweet.

Just the party.  There was food at this one!  Compliments of Kenny. 
Then today we cleaned the apartment and went to the Dalkeith Celtic Festival.  It was held at the New Battle Abbey College in Dalkeith. We had quite a tough time using public transportation but we eventually got there and we found a LDS church on our way.   The Abbey was beautiful.  We wandered through it and then spent a lot of time in the back gardens eating and dancing.

Claire and Daniel at the gate of the Abbey

Me and Claire in the gardens

This man was singing celtic songs.

Daniel and I were learning some basic dance moves, but we were too advanced so we left.


Then we went to another tent where we listened to some choirs, pipers and different music groups perform.  It was a blast.  Daniel bought Claire and I some cokes and we jammed.  One of the songs chorus is as follows:

With a fond embrace
A kiss upon her face
a gentle hand upon her shoulder
I sat her down by the light of the moon
and many were the lies I told her
 After the singers, a celtic band came back on and asked if anybody wanted to dance.  I raised my hand so fast... but it ended up I was the only one.  Daniel danced with me and we recruited people.  It ended up being really fun.







 And it makes me glad we learned the dances at ceilidh!

All the pictures of Daniel and me dancing are compliments of Claire.  Thanks Claire!  I'm really glad we went.  I think it was mainly for little kids but it was something to do.

On our way out we took some more pictures of the Abbey gardens.  So awesome.


This is Claire! and I love the pink bush in the background.  They are all over here.





Daniel being daring.


And that was our day!  Daniel made me and Claire bagette pizza when we got home.  We played cards and watched TV.  Pretty basic stuff. It was a successful Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment